How To Get What You Really Want Part 1: Be Careful What You Wish For
On Sunday 31st December at our morning service, we started our series 'How To Get What You Really Want' with the topic Be Careful What You Wish For. In this blog you will find a summary of the talk and then some questions and reflections for you to think through on your own or to discuss in your small group.
To listen to this, click here.
We all have wants. Life can feel like a constant pursuit of those wants. We want to do what we want to do. We want constant pleasure. And we want what we want now. But actually getting what we want can be tricky………. and even dangerous. It usually leaves us wanting more. If what we want leads to a cycle of wanting more and more, perhaps we want the wrong things.
So, what do you want?
Lurking in the shadows of what we want is what we value. You’ll never get what you really want until you discover what you really value. Jesus challenged all of our assumptions about what is valuable and what is not. He pointed us toward a different kind of wanting. If you follow him, you’ll pursue what is of greatest value.
CHANGING YOUR MIND
You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive; because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.
Questions and Reflections (for you to think about on your own or to discuss in your Life Group)
1. If you are asked the question “What do you want?” What comes to mind?
2. Can you remember a time when a seemingly innocent want lead to a sin, habit or regret?
3. Where are you potentially getting in your own way of getting what you really want?
4. Have you ever pursued something you wanted that conflicted with something you valued?
5. What do you really want? What do you value? Which is most important to you?